Monday, October 8, 2018

Middletown


What an exciting week! Here are some highlights:

*Tracting in pouring rain whilst trying to share an umbrella. We got soaked. But we also laughed a lot. 
*We taught L---- and her less active husband. They are the cutest couple ever! Still in the honeymoon phase having only gotten married 6 months ago. While visiting a friend in Utah, L---- heard about eternal families, now she wants one of her own. They are both so humble and excited to learn more! The spirit was really strong for the whole lesson. A great welcome to Middletown. 
*H. Kim burned some leftover hot wings she was rewarming in the microwave. We almost died trying to breathe the toxic spicy pepper laced air that filled the room.
*General Conference! Yay! I loved every time the prophet spoke. I adore him! I also really enjoyed Elders Uchtdorf and Soares' talks. 
*I got to meet F---, this cute older woman we are teaching. In the middle of watching conference with us she reached into her bag and pulled out a handful of candies, silently offering them to us. I love her! So cute. She also gave us each mini loaves of homemade banana bread. She is like the grandmother for the Sisters here.  
* Everyone has been making fun of me for never having been to general conference. "Wait. You've lived your whole life in Utah and have never been to general conference?!"



QUESTIONS:
* What is your new apartment like in Middletown? Big and posh like your last one, or are you back to no washer and dryer again? Do you have wi-fi?
Very big and nice still. The New York mission had it good! Super nice washer and dryer, but the wifi is a little sketchy. We use our neighbor's, so sometimes we have to stand outside his door to sync the plans on our tablets. He is really nice to let us use it though. He really takes care of the sisters, gives us all nicknames and brings over treats at unexpected times. My nickname is TR, short for Tomb Raider (because, Croft). He also keeps up on church news and was actually the one who informed us about the name change of the choir. He brought over a little article he had printed out about it. Good guy. Maybe he'll come to church someday, he knows enough about us.

* I’m assuming because of General Conference, you won’t really get to know your new ward until next week. Are you watching conference with them? 
Yeah, I've met some of the ward, but not a lot. Only a few came to the church to watch conference.

* And yeah…how are you watching Conference? I saw a message on FB from President Hess saying to feel free to watch all sessions. Do you do so in a stake center, with another family or on your tablet?
We watched it at the church building. We had a random guy who was contacted by sisters a year ago show up for the first session on Saturday. We sat next to a woman we are teaching for both the Women's conference and the Sunday morning session. 

* Is it great fun being with H. Kim? Where is she from? When you say you fly home together and have seats next to each other, does that mean she is flying into the Salt Lake airport as well? Is she from Utah?
H. Kim is from Taylorsville, UT! She was adopted from Korea when she was really young. We will be flying home together, but we just checked and I was wrong, our seats are on different rows. Close though. 

* What is Middletown like? Big city, small town, affluent, poor, middle-class, lots of trees in the country, or more large buildings in a bigger city? 
To put it in the words of the New City bishop when I told him where I was headed, "you're going to the sticks!". Yup. Middletown is a lot of farm land. So I will be treated to an absolutely spectacular fall. So many trees!

* Do you miss H. Miller? I’m assuming she stayed in New City?
H. Miller stayed in New City. But I will be seeing her twice this week. Once for exchanges (because I am her STL) and later for Zone Conference. 

I added some photos to the google drive from my last trip to Ellis. We are too far north up here to offer service there. I will go once more a week before I come home with all the other dying missionaries, but that's it. :(

More adventures to come next week. I'm going on two exchanges this week, eek!
XOXO Hermana Croft 



No comments:

Post a Comment