Thursday, January 4, 2018

Cold hands, warm hearts

Hello!

I have been missing y'all a lot this week. I love the pictures and descriptions of all of your holiday festivities. So many people I love all in one place. Cousins, friends, family, I feel like my circle of love is just growing! Now, not only does it include my cousins, but their spouses, not only my siblings, but their friends, plus all the other missionaries I have come to know and love serving side by side here in New Jersey. 

This has been a bit of a rough week. We didn't missionary (yes I am using it as a verb) that much. My companion was sick on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday we had an appointment and it was real cold, so we weren't out that long. Thursday was the blizzard (super cool to watch the snow blowing around through the window) so we hunkered down inside for most of the day. Friday was mostly spent indoors, be it teaching lessons or doing online Facebook proselyting. Saturday was the most freezy of all the days, but Hermana Hopson still wanted to go knock in the 5 degree weather cause she was feeling like we hadn't done anything. This amplified the slight cold I was starting to get ten-fold, and we both lived to regret it later that night when I was up till dawn hacking up a lung in an attempt to breath and she was up all night listening to me (at about 3 am she grabbed her blankets and spent the rest of the night on the couch upstairs). Sunday started 9 am church for the new year, with 7:30 am ward council (We left the house before 7:00 to catch the bus. It was chilly).

After church was super good through, cause we got to teach a new investigator who is amazing! She met with the missionaries about a year ago (Sister Morgan Hall, actually. The girl who lives in the other half of our neighborhood) and when we invited her to read the Book of Mormon, she responded that she has already read it all the way through and she knows it is true. The only thing that is keeping her from being baptised are her family ties to the Catholic church. She doesn't want to disrespect her parents by switching religions. 

Odds and ends:
*One morning I was telling Hermana Hopson about a dream I had the night before. I thought it was super cool because it was all in Spanish. She responded, that she had guessed I was dreaming in Spanish because my sleep talk had been in Spanish. What?! From the interrogation following this idle comment, I was able to discover things about myself that had previously been unknown.
 1)apparently I talk in my sleep on a semi-regular basis
 2)whenever I sleep talk, I sound like something is upsetting me
 3)sometimes it is all in Spanish
*I ate cow stomach for dinner last night at a member's house. The texture is very similar to cow foot, super rubbery. 
*A guy we met street contacting, and then taught a lesson to while he ate his lunch in a local restaurant, told me he thinks I am a real person, but my companion is a robot. He even asked her if she had ever been in the military because she was "super intense". She was not amused by this.

Love 
Me

---------------------
This card came snail mail a few days after Christmas accompanied by a handwritten note...


My Dearest Mother,
     You will have to excuse me for not having a nice Christmas letter all written up, because I know how much it displeases you when people just send pictures. However, as a missionary I don't have much time to compose long elegant narrations of my doings. So I will have to go by the old saying: A picture is worth 1,000 words.
     So here are 4,000 words for you. Eh, maybe a little less than 4,000. I'm not sure a selfie should really count for the full thousand, do you? Unfortunately, we don't have many other options whilst out proselyting. So selfies it is!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU!

                                   --- Hermana Croft

P.S. Yes, that is my phone #.  No, don't call it.

PICTURES:
1) The first snow of the season!
2) El Libro de Mormon
3) Our fall photo shoot
4) Snuggling while nursing our food babies after a meal appointment. We were also making phone calls in an attempt to be productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment