Monday, June 25, 2018

A baptism right in time for my one year mark!


Hey Mommy!
I am currently emailing you while eating fried plantains that H. Byron just made. She knows how to make really good Haitian food. 

Responses to your email:
*About that picture of Lady Liberty's old torch...we actually had to wait for a tour to pass before we could take that picture by the abandoned buildings at Ellis Island. The "hard hat" tours, as they call them, look really cool! Apparently a couple sister missionaries have actually been able to go on them for free during slow days in the family search center! 

*The Utah Arts Festival sounds amazing!!!! Do they put it on every year? Because this sounds like something I definitely want to see. I'm sure I would spend many blissful hours there getting lost in the culture of it all. 

*The ward walk-about sounds like a lovely time. I like the concept of it all. And I like that you and dad went out together to socialize. I love the people of the Willow Brook Ward!

*Did you ever do that Sunday night BBQ? H. Byron and I spent our Sunday evening contacting people on the street in Haverstraw NY. It's a cute little town right on the edge of the Hudson. We are probably going to be spending a lot more time there in the future. But more on that later...

*Brandon is quite the adventurous young man! It makes me want to go on road trips with friends and sleep in hammocks up in the trees. As of this week however, I have been spending my nights on the couch. But more on that later...

My week:

J---- got baptized! Wahoo! I'll tell you what though, yesterday was one of the most stressful Sundays I have had in a long time. So many things to think about. So many things to do! 

You start out the morning running around making sure everything is okay with the font, printing out the programs in both English and Spanish, helping the members bring in food for the potluck afterwards, setting up chairs and tables, etc. But you also want to be there for your investigators. Not only the one getting baptized, but all the others you invited as well to watch the baptism. Only once the meeting is actually about to begin and you have a moment to spare you can't even sit by them to explain what's going on because the Elder who usually translates isn't feeling well and you end up sitting on the stand to translate the meeting. And then when the actual baptism starts the children of the ward start running around and causing turmoil and you begin to wonder if the Spirit will even be present and able to testify through all this commotion. 

When surprisingly, they suddenly all heed your whispered pleas to settle down and fix their little eyes towards the front. And you realize the moment you have been anticipating for a year has finally come. Your investigator is in the water about to be baptized. And you can't see a thing! #problemsofbeingfivefeettall 

So you run around to the side and make it just in time. And then the Spirit is there. And everything is okay. And all the things you thought mattered before just don't anymore. Because J---- is crying as she hugs the man who just baptized her and you can see how happy she is. 

Other things that happened this week besides the baptism:

*N---- finally came to church and loved it! The members really welcomed her. 

*Our area got split, resulting in us losing our main proselyting area. But I am excited to switch things up and focus on some of the areas we didnt really spend a lot of time in before. Sadly, all of the Haitian members now live outside our area boundaries so we won't be visiting them anymore.

*I spent half the week sleeping on the couch after waking up at the beginning of the week with itchy red bites all over my arms. I'm still in the process of cleaning my mattress from all the bed bugs that have evidently made a home there. Luckily I fit really well on the couch, so it hasn't made a bad sleeping alternative. #perksofbeingfivefeettall

All in all, it was a good week. 

XOXO 
- Hermana Croft 

No comments:

Post a Comment