Monday, March 12, 2018

New York!


Guess what? I live in New York! And my area is huge! Like the entire county huge. And there are only two companionships in the entire mission serving in NY, us and the Elders. We share the area with them and we are allowed to teach anyone. Doesn't matter if they speak English, Spanish, French, or Creole, because between each companionship all four languages are spoken. And this is definitely a driving area. 

Hermana Byron grew up in Haiti, and moved to Miami when she was 11 so she speaks fluent Creole, French, and English. And then, because three languages wasn't enough, they sent her Spanish speaking. I am currently feeling pretty pathetic with my 1.5 languages over here... But that's okay, because I am starting to learn a little French and Creole! Technically I don't have to, President Hess told me he isn't expecting me to learn another language, but he does want me to be an active part of lessons. I am going to focus on learning some important basic phrases and how to talk to people in the street, at least enough to stop them until H. Byron comes over. 

My ward is about 50% English, 35% Creole, and 15% Spanish. Every week the missionaries use headsets to translate sacrament meeting into Creole and Spanish. Luckily the Elder serving here has been out for 21 months, so he takes care of the Spanish translations. Otherwise that would fall on me! Why, because I am now officially the senior companion. H. Byron has only been out for 6 months. 


Got to go, but I will write more next week. 

xoxox
Hermana Croft

P.S. My address is: 249 N. Middletown Rd. Nanuet, N.Y. 10954

Here's a picture of me with all the snow outside of the New City Ward's bishops house. 26 inches!!! Needless to say, we stayed inside all day when it stormed. Except in the evening when we went out to clear the snow off the cars in the parking lot with the Elders. 










No comments:

Post a Comment